So, if you haven’t heard, there’s a flaw in the WPA2 protocol. Read about it if you don’t know.
Since have a specific model of Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi AP, I figured they’d have an update quickly, which they did. However, I didn’t anticipate trouble in updating to latest firmware (184.108.40.20637). It took a LONG time to finally get it updated. Essentially, the update via the controller would fail to update, even though it would say it was going to update to the right version. The AP would blink happily, then reboot on the same version of the firmware, over and over. I tried other means, including trying local and ssh/scp update methods. Same result. In then end, this and this and this helped me diagnose a very odd situation:
After updating my DNS servers (now using google again – not my first choice since they log my queries), which fixed NTP server, which allowed me to upgrade the firmware on my PFSense router (which wasn’t getting updates because of the DNS issues) which made NTP happier yet, which allowed the WiFi AP to get the correct time, which allowed the upgrade to happen properly.